Sujata Banerjee leads the VMware Research Group (VRG) whose mission is to ensure VMware’s long term technical future and to advance the state of the field. VRG researchers work on a broad spectrum of core research topics in systems and algorithms. Sujata's expertise is in software defined networking, network function virtualization, network energy efficiency and measurement. She served as the technical program co-chair of the ACM SIGCOMM 2020, USENIX NSDI 2018 and ACM SOSR 2017 conferences. She is a member of the Computing Community Consortium (CCC) Council of the Computing Research Association (CRA) and on the board of the CRA's committee for widening participation (CRA-WP). She is on the scientific advisory committee of the FABRIC programmable research infrastructure. In 2020, she served in the AI working group of the FCC’s Technology Advisory Council and was the vice-chair of ACM SIGCOMM (2019-2021). She has over 40 US patents, is a recipient of the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER award in networking research and is a Fellow of the IEEE.
Prior to VMware, she was a director and distinguished technologist at Hewlett Packard Enterprise Labs, leading research on enterprise, service provider and datacenter networks. Before her industrial research career, she held a tenured Associate Professor position at the University of Pittsburgh. She was honored to be named in the list of 2018 N2Women: Stars in Computer Networking and Communications. Sujata received the Ph.D. degree from the University of Southern California (USC) and the B.Tech. and M.Tech. degrees from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay.
- Technical Program co-chair: ACM SIGCOMM 2020, USENIX NSDI 2018, ACM SOSR 2017
- Technical Program Committee: USENIX NSDI 2019-2020, ACM SOSP 2019, NetAI 2019, ACM SIGCOMM 2018, IEEE ICNP 2018, P4 Workshop 2018
- Vice-chair, ACM SIGCOMM (2019-2021)
- Steering Committee: USENIX NSDI (2018-), ACM HotNets (2018-)
- NSF/VMware Partnership on Edge Computing Data Infrastructure (ECDI)
- Keynote Talk, Smart Programmable Networks, ACM SOSR 2018
- Speaker at CRA-Women Grad Cohort, April 2018, April 2019 and CRA-Women Early and Mid Career Mentoring Workshop, November 2018